Wednesday, April 8, 2009

March badness.

Just about the only time I watch basketball is during March Madness. I love the bracket system, I love the intensity of the games, and I love how every stage - the Sweet Sixteen, the Elite Eight, the Final Four - has a snappy nickname and ups the intensity. And I was decidedly jealous of my buddy Dave who got to go down to Michigan to watch the Final Four. However, I must say that this year I had a pretty tough time getting into it. Mostly because there was little drama, there were few upsets, and the whole thing was boring. After the first round, only one team seeded lower than 5th made it through. Two brackets had their 1-2-3-4 seeds advance. I love March Madness for the unexpected. And the upsets, and the buzzer-beaters. I have been into it since I happened across that Duke game where Christian Laettner hit every single shot he took, up to and including the incredible buzzer-beater.

And last year was OK, despite the fact that all four #1 seeds made it to the Final Four. At least the games were exciting. But the North Carolina beatdown of Michigan State in the final game underscored what was a very underwhelming tournament this year. I'm still jealous of Dave. And I'll still watch next year. But this March Madness sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment