Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A couple of great reads.

With the lovely weather the past couple of days, I have taken some books outside, and I want to recommend them. Because they are both fantastic. Amanda from promo gave me a book called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which I read on Monday. It's amazing. Totally hilarious, and it made me think that maybe I'm autistic. I do a lot of things the boy in this book does. It's written from the perspective of an autistic boy who finds his neighbour's dog murdered with a pitchfork. It's just priceless the way the kid goes through life - everything he does and thinks makes perfect sense, in a logical way, but being autistic none of it would make sense to the people he encounters. He stops, several times, to explain the way he thinks, and it's always priceless. Like his reasoning that explains why seeing five red cars in a row means that he will have a good day. A very funny, very sweet book that you can read in an afternoon.

The book I read yesterday, The Hours, is a little tougher. Randall gave me that one, and it's amazing too. It's the story of three women, one of whom is the real-life author Virginia Woolfe, and their stories which connect loosely over time. Woolfe is writing her classic novel Mrs. Dalloway, Laura is reading the book, and Clarissa is referred to as "Mrs. Dalloway" by her friend Richard, a famous gay poet who is dying of AIDS. I know, it doesn't sound like much fun. But it is. The Hours is a literary tour-de-force, and I now want to go see the movie. Mostly because I know who's in it, but I can't for the life of me figure out which character is played by which actress. (Especially since one character in the book makes many references to Meryl Streep, and one of the characters in the movie is played by Meryl Streep. I actually get excited by these things because I am a nerd.)

My girlfriend read the Dog in the Night-Time book after I did, also in one night. She tried The Hours but found it too ponderous. Both are great.

1 comment:

  1. I have a son with Asperger's and whenever anyone asks about it when I tell them he is I recommend they read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime. It is a wonderful book, very well written by someone who is also very knowledgeable about ASD kids. Since you found that book so good, try Born On a Blue Day - this fellow is also Asperger's and a savant as well, fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete