Friday, February 27, 2009

Something cool that didn't make BRN

I couldn't put this on Breaking Rock News, because Sublime aren't exactly a classic rock band. Nor are they, really, a "rock" band at all. They were the leaders of that punk-reggae-ska revolution that took hold for about ninety minutes in the mid-90s. In fact, one might say they were the only good band in that genre to come out of California during the third-wave ska revival. (Not me though - I still have a soft spot for Mustard Plug and Edna's Goldfish and Skinnerbox.)

For those of you (and I'm not sure there are many reading this) who know what I'm talking about, and remember Sublime, the band folded in 1996 when their lead singer, Bradley Nowell, died of a drug overdose. With the demise of the band, the entire movement faded away rather quickly as well. But it looks like the group will be getting back together, if only for one show. At the Cantino Los Tres Hombres in Nevada, on February 28th. Not that I'm going to make the trek out there to see it, nor would I be willing to even if I had the time or the money. I mean, this isn't an MC Hammer - Vanilla Ice double bill we're talking about here. But I just thought this was a good excuse to mention Sublime again. You should check them out.

4 comments:

  1. how is the weight loss going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were a very cool band. You'll never here them on Chez however

    ReplyDelete
  3. The remaining members do some cool rock-reggae album covers including "Dub Side of the Moon" and "Radiodread"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Mustard Plug fan here too... one of the few still making new music and touring, gotta love that ska!

    ReplyDelete