Friday, February 27, 2009

Losing weight through brute force. Week 5.

I have given up, utterly. It's not use, I had to cave, there is no way I will win this silly contest without changing my eating habits. And so I threw in the towel this week, gave up entirely, and changed my eating habits. I have been hitting Greco three times a week for their Lean & Fit program, which is an hour of intense kick-my-ass excercise. On the off days, I am doing 10,000 metres every day on my ergometer rowing machine at home, which takes a little less than an hour. I have cut out McDonalds breakfasts and my 12 pepsis a day, but other than that I haven't really tried to change my diet much. And over the first three weeks, I dropped 13 pounds. But then last week, despite my efforts at intense, fat-burning workouts on a daily basis, I somehow gained two pounds!

So I am no longer winning this workplace-weight-loss competition. Andy is now winning, with 13 pounds to my 11. So this week I decided to take it up a notch, and I am now subscribing, as best I can, to the Greco plan of eating small, protein-laden amounts of food 5 times a day. It's rather difficult for me, with my schedule, to do so. But I want to win! The week kicked off poorly, as far as eating right goes, when I did the 24 Hours of Homelessness thing for Operation Go Home. That was two days of nothing but cream-and-sugar coffee and day-old donuts and whatever I could scrounge up. But since then I have been following the strict meal plan - hard-boiled eggs, beef stew, chili...whatever I am allowed to eat, and in amounts as small as I can stand without being starving all the time. I have my next weigh-in today.

Actually, I will wait to publish this post until I have been weighed in. OK. I had my weigh-in. So now I weigh...243.8 pounds. The scales we use here are very high-tech. Down to the decimal point. Since I began, that means I have lost 16 pounds, and I managed to lose 5 this week. Maybe there's something to this "eating properly" thing after all. I can't wait until the contest is over and I win and I can celebrate with a Big Mac or four.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Eric, you're doing great! If you really want to open up a huge lead, here's a tip: infect yourself with the norovirus. You will spend approximately 8 hours on and/or in front of the toilet, but by the time those 8 hours are up, you will have dropped a lot of weight. Case in point: I visited a nursing home 3 weeks ago and unfortunately pick up the virus there. When my 8 hours of torture were over, I was down 12 pounds (and I started at a mere 170), and I have yet to gain any of it back. So if you're desperate and willing to suffer through sheer hell for 8 hours, you should give it a try.

    If you'd rather follow the conventional (and safer) method , keep listening to Greco and you'll be the winner for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric,
    it has been my experience that there are two sure-fire ways to lose weight without trying too too hard. One is the tablespoon diet. During your waking hours you eat once an hour. But you eat only whatever you can fit on a tablespoon. The theory behind it is that you will speed up your metabolism because your body becomes accustomed to having food so often during the day. Often people will stuff a hunk of chocolate cake or whatever onto their tablespoon which is fine but then they feel very hungry all day. After suffering with delicious food they then switch to protein foods like a hard boiled egg for example. it's safe and fast and very effective. Another way to lose weight is through stressful relationships. Don't you have a wedding coming up that you can't get out of? lol.

    ReplyDelete