Thursday, February 5, 2009

Is there something...ironic...or sad...about this?

Dairy Crest announced yesterday that sales of their butter brand Country Life have spiked. Sales have risen 83 percent since Country Life began using spokesman John Lydon in their TV commercials. Yes...that John Lydon...of the Sex Pistols. I don't know what really irks me about this. I'm trying to put my finger on it. It isn't that Johnny Rotten has sold out. He sold out a long time ago and he's been a money-grubbing douche for years. So that doesn't bother me. It bothers me maybe a little that a butter company would choose him for their spokesman, but I knew this a long time ago and didn't feel the need to comment on it then. So it can't be that. I think it has something to do with the fact that it worked. Here's a guy who represents all that is punk - not selling out, non-conformity, spitting in the eye of authority...his real, hardcore fans can't be the ones buying this butter, because they will be angry that he sold out...and the others probably don't like him to begin with...and then there's me. I'm a hardcore fan of the Sex Pistols, and I don't like John Lydon...help me out here. What, exactly, sucks about this? Is it ironic? Sad? Distasteful? Pathetic? Crass? Oh, here's the commercial - it does need to be watched first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzQsvxtLTM

OK. Now tell me what sucks about that so I can sleep tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it was his reason for buying the butter? I don't know about you, but I was expecting something far better (and funnier) than "because it tastes the best". That line is what upsets me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps. I wasn't expecting scintillating wit from ol' Johnny Rotten, but he could certainly have done better than that.

    ReplyDelete