Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Today's BRN. New Years Eve Edition.

“When I was 10, I fell in love with the Who. I saw Tommy and was deeply moved. I wasn’t deaf, dumb or blind, but I wanted to be felt, seen, heard and healed. Seriously, I’m not going for laughs here … When I first heard them in 1979, it hit me like a torpedo in my third eye. It was a collection of ass-kicking songs the likes of which we will never see again. And it’s about time they get some sweet-ass recognish.” Best intro ever? That was Jack Black kicking off the Kennedy Center tribute to The Who on TV last night (the show was taped months ago). I wonder how Morgan Freeman's tribute was introduced?

Larry Mullen Jr. (U2's drummer) says this in an interview with Q magazine: he believes Tony Blair "should be tried as a war criminal". He then went on to say "and then I see Bono and him as pals, and I'm going 'I don't like that.'" And this made the news. I got this story from about four or five reputable news sources. I'm sure that they have talked about this themselves, and that they already know how each of them feels about the situation. Far be it from me to decide what makes the news and what doesn't (which is why I posted it on BRN - I will let people decide for themselves if they care or not...I assume they won't). But if I were to say here, on my blog, that whenever I hear Woody say something nice about John Baird, that I disagree, I don't think that would make news. I am pretty sure I already know he likes John Baird and that he knows I find the man objectionable. No need for anyone else to care either way, I imagine.

The concert industry appears to be one of the few businesses going strong in the world today. They posted a 13 percent increase in profits last year, setting a record with $4 billion dollars at the box office - ticket sales went up six percent, and box office revenue went up 18 percent. Which means, more than anything else, that ticket prices went up disproportionately. I wonder how long that trend will be able to continue?

And finally, in the blame-everyone-except-me trend that has been set by the management of Guns N Roses, Lars Ulrich, of Metallica, was blamed in an online forum for the delay of the video for G 'N R's debut Chinese Democracy single, "Better". Ulrich apparently appears in many of the backstage clips, as well as some of the onstage ones, during the video, and he needs to sign a release form in order to allow the video to be released. Or so said Fernando Lebeis, the son of Axl Rose's personal assistant in a post on an online forum. But then, of course, amid the furor this all caused, the post was removed, and the band released a statement saying “Lars isn’t holding anything up with our video. Our message board comments were meant casually, in fun and amongst friends. Unfortunately, someone with Blabbermouth may have taken things a bit out of context and made them into a bit more than they are in reality. Our apologies to anyone who may have been confused. We hope to have our video out shortly. Thank you.” Nice of them to say "thank you", eh?

What this means is one of two things. Either this guy was just "joking around" online, (and we all know it's tough to convey good-natured humour on message boards) and there really is no hold-up at all (except Axl wants to take the next nine years to get the video just right). Or, he was right, and just went off the reservation a little bit, talking out of turn, and the Big Corporate Machine that is Guns N Roses management stepped in to shut everything down immediately. I'm sure this guy is getting a dressing-down from the CEO of Axl Rose Entertainment as we speak. Or, he has been taken out to the desert, never to be heard from again. Oh - there's a third possibility. Perhaps this isn't actually a story at all, and nothing accurate went into the reporting of it, and nothing substantial will come of it. That too is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment