Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election day.

I'm not a superstitious guy. I don't walk around ladders and avoid black cats and step over cracks on the sidewalk or hold my breath when passing graveyards. It strikes me that these things are more indicative of OCD than of actual superstition. But last night, I felt rather superstitious. Watching the Redskins play the Steelers, I had picked the Skins to win, but I was cheering for Pittsburgh. Because 16 of the past 17 elections, or something like that, the Skins have predicted the outcome of the presidential election. If the Skins win their last home game before election day, the incumbent party has won 16 of 17 times. Or something like that. So while I had the Skins in all my pools, I was cheering for the Steelers. Because this election, Obama needs all the help he can get.

I know, based on the polls, it looks as though Obama has it sewn up. And of course, by all rights he should win this thing. But then, I thought the same in 2000 and 2004. There are still a bunch of talking heads on TV who say things like "don't underestimate the Democrats' ability to foul this up". Which is, of course, nonsense. The Obama campaign has run one of the best, biggest, most organized campaign in history. The time for "Deomcrats" to "foul things up" is over. After all, we're a few hours away now - how can they foul things up now? Obama spends the day hanging out in Osama Bin Laden's cave? Come on.

I do, however, think there is going to be absolute chaos tomorrow down south. Although I keep hearing about all this ACORN B.S. and that sort of garbage, the real problem is with that bizarre American voting system where they use the machines, and so forth. Why can't they do the paper thing with an X like we do? Seems pretty darn simple. Then we hear about those last-second phone call campaigns saying people don't have to vote until Wednesday, or the parties that hire cops to stand around polling stations to intimidate potential voters. Thousands of names being struck off the voter rolls, college students being told that voting will screw up their parents' tax returns in other states. In short, that actual method by which voting takes place is a political thing in the States. And with what is likely to be unprecedented turnout, in a race that has inspired unprecedented passion on both sides, 12-hour lineups at voting booths could turn ugly. It could. I hope it doesn't. But it sure could.

I'm watching my PVR'd Monday Night Football right now. Both Obama and McCain were on at halftime with Chris Berman. And Obama was not in some cavfe with Bin Laden. So you Democratic supporters, if you lose today, it was not the "Dems lousing it up as usual". It was your stupid voting system and the corruption it allows. And you McCain fans (because this election is like sports, in that people are rooting and each candidate has fans), if you lose - you can blame the Redskins, and Jason Campbell, and that decision to throw the ball on fourth-and-goal from the one-inch line. Go Steelers!

No comments:

Post a Comment