Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wild Goose Chase. Because the title just writes itself!

And I feel lame for using something so obvious...but then, I don't feel nearly as lame as those government officials who have apparently spent two days looking for Lefty the goose. This is a goose who hangs out in the Amberwood Pond. He is called Lefty because he is a follower of the teachings of Marx and Lenin. And also because he is missing his right wing. Or is that her right wing? I can't tell. Although I did see him or her, I just couldn't get close enough to flip him or her over. And even if I could have done so, I wouldn't have known what to look for. But the point is, that within twenty minutes of showing up at this pond, I found the goose. Lefty has become something of a cause celebre in Stittsville, and this "issue" has made it all the way to the top of government! And they sent their top people to find it and bring it to the wildlife sanctuary! And they took two days, couldn't find it, and went home. It turns out that they didn't have my secret weapon - ten-year-old Sarah, who comes to the pond every single day before school to feed bread crumbs to the ducks and the geese who inhabit that pond. And she sees Lefty every single day. Like I did, today, when he or she came by to eat a bread crumb or two. It took me twenty minutes. Anyone think that maybe, just maybe, no one actually showed up to look in the last couple of days? After all, the goose wasn't going anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's pretty ridiculous that our government officials are spending time looking for a goose.
    Seriously, I know we should take care of our wildlife and all, but there are infinitely more important things in the world. Don't people have more productive things to do with their time than name geese? Lefty isn't even very creative.
    It's nature. These things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erik keep up the good work with Lefty, a few of our employees at DragonWave saved 2 geese last Christmas. They aren't easy birds to catch even when they are injured and can't fly. Fortunately we were able to capture ours in the nick of time as the pond had froze and they were very weak and dehydrated. We managed to get the big capture on video, check it out as it is an amazing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIm_Pe9SLpI

    ReplyDelete