Friday, October 17, 2008

I am a believer!

I went to bed last night depressed. I had stayed up watching Obama and McCain at the Alfred E. Smith dinner during commercials in the baseball game. And when the score was 7-0 against my Red Sox, I gave up on the game and went to bed. After all, the teams I hate have been winning, the teams I love have been losing, at least this week. So why would this be any different? After all, I was cheering for the Dodgers, because who doesn't love Manny Ramirez? And I was cheering for anybody-but-Stephen-Harper. And they both lost. I was hoping that the streak would end there, but at 7-0, this game was over.

But then it wasn't. I woke up this morning to hear Randall on the news talking about the Red Sox win. Win? What? I looked in the papers, but it wasn't in there. These games end so late that the result can't even get into the paper in time. So I couldn't get any details, except to know that they must have staged a ridiculous comeback in the final three innings, after I was in bed. I got home and watched all the highlights this morning, and I am now desperately ashamed of my defeatist attitude. I must have forgotten that these are the Red Sox. The team that won a World Series after coming back from 3-0 against the Yankees in the greatest playoff series I have ever seen, in any sport. The team that won last year's series after being down 3-1 to the Angels. 7-0 in the seventh inning of the fifth game of a series where they are down 3-1? No big deal. I should have stayed up.

By the way - it all made me think of last year, when in the fourth game of the Angels series, the Sox were down a ton, and late in the game Manny hit one miles out of the stadium and celebrated like he had just won Game 7? And that sparked the Sox to their three straight wins and their second World Series? Yeah. I'm gonna miss that guy in the finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment