Tuesday, October 28, 2008

How strange.

For the first time ever, a World Series game is postponed by rain. I learned my lesson with the long, long delay to start Game Four, the game that ended at about 2 in the morning. I just can't stay up that late. I have learned to tape the games on my PVR and watch them in the morning. It's the only way for me to get sleep and stay sane. Because of the way my PVR is set up to record shows - only two at a time - I managed to record only the end of the game. (Until 10:00, I was recording Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity's hilariously fawning interview with that oh-so-astute political analyst and harbinger of doom, Elizabeth Hasselbeck.) And now, I flip on the game and start fast forwarding. And there's no game. What's happening?

Well, it was rained out. For the first time in World Series history, a game has been postponed because of rain. What does this mean now? When does the game get finished? How do we learn when the game is to be finished? Is the rest of the schedule of the World Series thrown out of whack? And more importantly - this game was called in the sixth inning. Which means the game would have been official had it been officially called and one team was winning. So...had the Rays not managed to get that extra run to tie things at 2-2, would they have lost the final Series game by default, due to a rainout? I can only assume that Bud Selig would not have allowed that to happen. Then again, there was that All-Star game tie...

But here's the real difference this rainout makes. Cole Hamels, the Phillies most dangerous pitcher in the postseason, was still on the mound. Does he now go back to the game on one day's rest, to resume pitching in the sixth? Or do the Phillies bring in a reliever to throw, or do they use another starting pitcher to attempt to get through the game? Frankly, I think Philadelphia needs to win this game, and they know it. If they were to lose, they go back to Tampa for the final two games, and there is actually a chance they could let this series get away. I would guess that they throw in their Game Six starter to attempt to shut the Rays down and finish this thing. If Tampa wins Game Five, I predict they will win the World Series. And this rain delay could be a big reason.

3 comments:

  1. ETI,

    There is one good thing to come out of this for those of us who don't have to get up for work at 3am: In all likelihood, the Phillies will wind up winning the world series before I go to bed tonight. The last time that happened, the Expos had me interested in the game. I always enjoyed watching those former Expos get the success they never got in Montreal...how I miss thee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thought you should know that in Paris Hilton's life 'forever' is one season...and by then, hopefully, we'll all have forgotten it and she ever existed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought you should know that in Paris Hilton's life 'forever' is one season...and by then, hopefully, we'll all have forgotten it and she ever existed.

    ReplyDelete