Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I guess I HAVE to...

Now I have to write a post. Doc suggested that I would write like forty when I came back, because he's under the impression that I can't hold back. That the only catharsis I have in my life is through blogging. And he's probably right. So here is how I spent my summer vacation.

Friday: My best friend Kent was in town for a wedding. He was here for four days, but I only saw him for one, because the wedding had like thirty components. The pre-rehearsal dinner, the rehearsal, the after-rehearsal party, the wedding morning brunch, the wedding, the reception, the following-morning gift opening, and so forth. The one time I got to see him was when his wife was at the girls-get-together event on Friday. The idea of a wedding with more than one thing to attend stresses me out. The idea of this one made me frightened.

Saturday: My sister was in town since Thursday with a friend of hers. He had to come to Ottawa to get his Hummer fixed. Apparently they can't fix those in North Bay. I had made up my mind not to like him simply because he drove a Hummer. But then I did like him, anyway. He was funny enough that I was no longer the funny guy in the room. Which I must say was a relief, frankly, since by the time I go on vacation, I have no funny left at all. It was my sister's birthday, and although I had planned ahead, and had made a nice kebab dinner, and had a present for her and everything, I had forgotten to wish her a happy birthday on the phone on the actual day. So I purposely neglected to mention it the next day, even when I had remembered. That meant that by the time she got to my house, she was plenty sour at me, and then I had a birthday celebration all ready. And I reveled in the fact that she had to quickly get un-irritated. I saw her again on Saturday just before she left. To drive back to North Bay in a Hummer. Seriously, a Hummer?

Saturday morning: I took the kids to Silver City in Gloucester to see the sneak preview of the new Star Wars Clone Wars animated movie. It sucked. They loved it, but they were wrong. It sucked. The best part about it was the group of guys who came in dressed as every character from the Star Wars series. There was even a Darth Vader and a Stormtrooper, even though those characters were not in the movie. I spent much of the movie trying to figure out if they were there because of the sneak preview promotion, or whether they were just enormous nerds.

Sunday: It was my brother-in-law's birthday. We held that celebration at our house also, with his kids and our kids and my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law and so forth. I barbecued kebabs again. I remember several times my mother-in-law saying something, and then saying "this better not appear in your blog!" But it's been so long since last Sunday that I can no longer remember what those things were. But I'm sure she said something embarassing. No need to worry, mother-in-law! I forget.

Monday: I played Mario Kart with the kids on the Wii. I beat them both, once, in a little four-race tournament. And then I quit, retiring as champion. I will likely never play again, and I will continually remind them of the fact that I was the victor last time we played, and as such I am better at it than they are, for the rest of eternity. Then they had a friend over so they were fairly occupied all day.

Tuesday: I had to drop my youngest step-son off at daycare first thing in the morning, so I took my older one out for breakfast. And a haircut. When we go out together now, we get treated differently than we did a year ago. The waitress actually asked if it would be one bill or two! It took me a while to figure out that she assumed he was my buddy, and not my thirteen-year-old step-son. That is because he is now taller than I am. And I can only assume that in two or three years he will be six-foot-eleven, and my fist-shaking threats will no longer carry the weight they currently do. Well...they currently carry no threat at all. I am less intimidating than I imagine myself to be. Then we forced him to watch Bowling For Columbine even though he wanted to watch...something else. I can't remember. I think it was Alien Vs. Predator or something. But he liked it enough that he then asked to watch Fahrenheit 9/11. Soon, he will not only be a foot taller than I am, but also more informed.

Wednesday: I had been fighting an abscess all week, right in my stomach, that required me to take a whole pile of antibiotics and doing a bunch of gauze-packing and bandaging all the time. It had also made me largely immobile all week, which meant that I had no recourse when my girlfriend decided to watch gymnastics on TV. I couldn't even get out of my chair to fight her for the remote. So I had to sit and watch gymnastics. And I hate it. And I couldn't really put my finger on it until Wednesday night, when we went to check out (walking slowly) this Carnivale Lune Bleue in Kars. A fairly low-rent carnival, in the end, that has done itself no favours by locating itself on a high school field. The fair itself is less than impressive, but the shows are terrific. Especially the Cirque Maroc performance. Although it was sort of disconcerting in that it was almost like watching a high-caliber strip club show. There are five girls who do all kinds of really cool high-wire acts, and hula hoop acts, and the acrobatics are amazing. But they are constantly stopping in the middle of the act to strike sexy poses and touch themselves. And it really is a little odd. But this helped me realize why I hate watching gynastics. Because these girls are basically doing gymnastics too, right? But this show actually understands what gymnastics IS. Entertainment. The whole point of anything like gymnastics - ballet, figure skating, etcetera, is entertainment. Watching someone do it on TV, and then be judged for it, seems so impersonal and clinical and boring that it drives me crazy.

Thursday: We made it out to the Blues Boat for CHEO to see J.W. Jones. A terrific night, and one I hope we do again really soon. The blues cranking out from below, you can go downstairs to see it and rock out, and then you can go outside onto the deck and enjoy your beer. And because I didn't have to work the next day, I could actually enjoy a beer at a work event!

Friday: My girlfriend made me clean the house. I did at least eleven percent of the cleaning.

Saturday: I did a live commercial at Bank Street Hyundai. So I was still kinda working. But it came with free hamburgers. And the girl barbecueing liked me enough to give me the last one. I'm either charming or fat. Then I picked up some friends and took them back to my place to share a beer or two and watch Battlestar Galactica. My buddy Mark has been trying to get me to watch that one for a while, and I have been rather resistant. As it turned out, we barely paid attention to the show when it did come on, because we were too busy talking. But Mark has left the box set with me so I can appreciate the series on my own time. It'll be a while Mark, I have 21 movies to review by this Tuesday first. John and Karin are getting married soon, and I have had my RSVP card sitting on my desk for about six weeks. It was due yesterday. I meant to send it home with them, but I forgot that too. While there, however, Karin picked up the phone twice as I was elsewhere, and both times it was my girlfriend's two best friends calling. They are certainly good friends, however, because the second they talked to her again the first words out of their mouths were "there was a girl at your house when you weren't there!" And twice, she played a joke on them by freaking out about it and screaming at me. I played along, looking ashamed and sheepish, but both times I ruined it by laughing in the middle of the fight. But we got 'em both.

Sunday: We went up to the Thousand Islands to a friend's cottage. It's beautiful up there, and we really enjoyed it - driving around in the boat looking at the 25 million houses on the shore. You know what a 25 million dollar house looks like? Like someone had NO idea what to do with their money. And most aren't even 25 million dollar houses. They're like 25 million dollar third houses. I like seeing them though.

Monday: Out on the boat again. I don't really get boat trips. I get going out and looking at stuff, and I get waterskiing and fishing and all those things that you can do on a boat. But I don't get the pleasure in driving across the water on a boat. I guess I need a reason or something. But it was still a good time, and the company was good, so I didn't complain. Because that would have made me a jerk. And I didn't want to be that. On the way home, we were caught in that ridiculous thunderstorm last night. We had to pull over off the road, because we simply couldn't see in front of us any more. Cars went by us on the road with their four-ways on, going thirty.

Tuesday: I went back to work. And Doc made fun of my long-winded blogs.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for forgetting, SON IN LAW !!!

    ReplyDelete