Friday, July 4, 2008

Something cool.

I'm sure not all you classic rock listeners will appreciate this, but I thought this was one of the coolest videos I've seen on youtube in a long while. One of my favourite groups, the Quintet of the Hot Club Of France (at other times - the Quartet of the Hot Club Of France) featuring one of the greatest guitar players (and certainly the greatest jazz guitarist) of all time, Django Reinhardt. Also with the greatest jazz violinist of all time, Stephane Grappelli. Frankly, I'm amazed there's any footage left of them at all, what with the group having disbanded in 1939. Music fans, check this gypsy jazz excellence out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v-6AH-S8L8

3 comments:

  1. speaking of little known gems, and one that the classic rockers will enjoy - I highly recommend a movie called "Festival Express" which chronicles the journey of The Band, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Buddy Guy, and so so so many more on a 5 day travelling train festival across Canada.
    I hadn't heard of it until I did some digging about The Band after becoming interested by The Last Waltz... Well worth the watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I LOVE Festival Express. Every rock fan should watch that one, it's one of the best concert films of all time. Also worth checking out - the three-disc Monterey Pop Festival DVD. (It is from the Criterion Collection, which means it's rather expensive, but incredibly filmed.) Hendrix, Otis Redding, The Who, Mamas and the Papas...you name it, it's in there. The best rock concert movie ever! Well...maybe next to The Last Waltz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check that Monterey Pop Festival out too... I have to agree Last Waltz = Best Concert movie ever.

    ReplyDelete