Friday, June 27, 2008

Crack the window! I'm dying here.

On the way home from work, a rock smashed into the centre of my windshield, cracking it pretty bad. In order to deal with it quickly, I immediately booked an appointment at Speedy Glass in Kanata before it got any worse. It was pretty easy to book the appointment - the lady at the call centre did all the insurance stuff for me, so I had no need to go through all that rigamarole myself. Which I found to be fantastic. Apparently, getting the appointment actually transferred to the shop itself was a little more difficult, since they had no idea I was coming. But the two guys at Speedy were very cool about it, cramming me in anyway and attempting to fix my problem. But it was not to be. The crack was too bad to be fixed by any regular windshield techniques. It was tough. It was hanging on, for dear life, refusing to disappear despite today's modern tough-guy window repair machinery. So I had to make a decision. For a chip in the windshield, my insurance would cover the whole thing if it was able to be repaired. Since it wasn't, I was going to have to either replace the entire windshield, and pay the 300 dollar deductible, or continue driving with a chipped windshield.

But I didn't have 300 dollars. So I chose option C. Instead of replacing the windshield, or driving with a chipped windshield, I bought a new car.

My mother-in-law's boyfriend, a prince of a man, had just purchased a new car, and was getting rid of his old 1996 Pontiac Grand Am. And we leaped at the opportunity to add to our fleet. We are now a two-car family with a one-car garage. Which is an exciting thing for me. Normally, I have to blast out of the station at 8:55, the second we finish talking on the show, so I can get home by 9:30 and get the car to my girlfriend who then hurries to her job by 10:00. In the winter, she's late a lot because if it's snowing or crappy outside, getting home in 30 minutes is an impossibility. So now, I can take my time. I can drive home at 90 km/h to save on gas. I can stick around at work for meetings and such. I can even take more time doing my work. Which means that Breaking Rock News will be even more comprehensive from now on. No story will be missed. If the drummer for Cinderella breaks a finger, you'll hear about it. If Ronnie James Dio buys a puppy, you'll hear about it. If Joe Walsh holds a garage sale, you'll know right away. Exciting times.

The main reason a second car is great for us is that it will actually save us money. We will use much less gas this way - In the past, if something had to be done during the day, I had to get home, pick up my girlfriend, drive her to work, then run whatever errand it may be, then pick her up from work and drive her home. Now, I can do all those errands on one trip, on my way home, and not worry about all that back-and-forth crap. And less gas, even if it's only a little less, is a good thing.

8 comments:

  1. Great,now come & get this bucket of Golf balls ,or i'll walk over there with'em & spill 'em out all over the parking lot,,LOL. :)
    I'm steping over them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I could have sold you my 2003 gas pig (which BTW may be traded in on a more efficient (read gas & money wise) smaller car as early as this weekend.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gas guzzler traded in this week, can't do it anymore. if I'd known you were in the market....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but - "leaped" or "leapt"? Are both the correct past particples? "Leaped" is just jarring to me. Feel free to ignore my discomfort

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe both are technically correct. I have certainly read both. My apologies for causing discomfort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. k, eric, u can't keep saying having a second car saves money!! maybe you're saving on gas ?? but i'm not seeing how with two vehicles on the road...with the added convenience you're both going to be driving hither and thither. And, what about maintenance, repairs, insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, we're pretty good about going straight to work and straight home. If we need anything, it's all in one trip. Which means less overall km driven, which in the end means, even with two cars, not only less gas but also less maintenance. I figure. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete