Monday, May 19, 2008

If only I could remember how I used to do things.

Our eight-year-old recently expressed an interest in the musical instruments around the house. In particular, my old violin, which I haven't played in maybe fifteen years. I was going to show him how to play, but the thing was in rough shape, a serious state of disrepair. So I took it to Peter Dawson Violins on Bronson, and had it fixed up, purchased a new bow, and set to work showing him how it was done. But when I picked it up, I discovered that playing the violin is not at all like riding a bike. It really IS something that you can forget over time. I used to be quite good, now I can't remember a single song I used to know. All I can remember is where the fingers go, and how to hold a bow. So after a few hours of middling around, I was competent enough, once again, to actually show him a few things. I taught him to play "Baa baa black sheep", and now he knows as many songs on the thing as I do. I'm going to have to learn all over again. During the time we don't have him, I'm going to have to re-learn everything I once knew, so I can teach him more stuff. Up next - "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Which, in fact, is the exact same song as "Baa baa black sheep". But...baby steps. For me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment