Friday, February 29, 2008

Senators! What now?

Last night we had a Toys For Boys event at Philthy McNasty's in the Centrum Plaza in Kanata. This is where the Toys For Boys party itself will be held this year, and it is a fine establishment, with good food, cold beer and smoking hot waitresses. Just what you want in a sports bar. And of course, they were carrying the Senators game. It was on pay-per-view for the rest of us. And who wants to spend $9.95 or whatever it is to order a game on pay-per-view when the team is clearly going to lose anyway, and the hockey is not good, and the team sucks? I will guess nine people. You have to go to a bar. Philthy's is giving us a major prize in Toys For Boys as well - dinner for two before every home game and then season tickets to every home game in the Philthy's suite, whatever that is. But Senators' season tickets? That's a pretty suite prize! Ugh. Even I am cringing at what I just wrote. But the point is, at least it's season tickets for next year. This year couldn't look much worse at the moment.

A lot of people asked me last night what I thought of the Paddock firing. Of course, it was more than expected. It was almost anticipated. Murray will be able to snap this team out of their slump! He'll be the tough-guy coach we need...3-1 Flyers. Spezza looked to be playing with more fire, at least. Well, until he was ejected. Jason Spezza. Ejected. What a strange rule. But I really started thinking about the Stillman-Commodore acquisition before trade deadline day. I thought long and hard, during several discussions with Ottawa fans. And all of a sudden, I couldn't make any sense of it. What we've done here is sacrifice youth and a small part of our future - Corvo and Eaves will both be good players in the NHL for several years - for an incremental improvement in the short term. Sure, Stillman is better, this year, than Eaves. And Commodore is a better fit, and more needed, this year, than Corvo. But if that was the only move you were going to make, then...why bother? Sure, it makes the team incrementally better, on paper at least. But they needed to get massively better in order to actually be considered a contender for the Stanley Cup. And if you sacrifice the future for short-term results, you have to have the cup as your immediate goal, no?

So shouldn't the Commodore-Stillman deal have signaled more things to come? And not Marty Lapointe more things, but get-rid-of-Emery more things. The way it looks right now is that we've sacrificed some of the future in order to get to maybe the second round, if we're lucky, this year. There had to be more going on at the deadline than there was, or we lost Corvo and Eaves for no reason. Well, according to TSN last night, there was. A deal fell through between Ottawa and Chicago. Or, perhaps, Chicago never even entertained the idea, which is entirely possible as well. The idea was that we would give them our two goalies for their two goalies. Gerber and Emery for Nikolai Khabibulin and...are you ready for this? Patrick Lalime. We must be pretty desperate to get rid of Emery if we're willing to take Lalime as the replacement. Khabibulin obviously being the key player in the deal. But of course, it did not happen, nothing happened, and we will continue to watch a team play poor hockey down the stretch, maybe end up with the sixth or seventh or even eighth seed for the playoffs, and with any luck get out of the first round. That's it.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Eric,
    That's a pretty dismal picture you just painted about the Ottawa Sens.
    The only thing that bothers me more than Ottawa fans turning into fair weather fans as soon as Ottawa hits a little slump is childless adults assuming they have some needed advice to give to parents who actually raise those kids. Try coaching or goaltending then tell us all how it's done.
    Mrs. Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone thought that getting Murray behind the bench was going to turn things around like magic, then they need to find a new dealer because whatever they're smoking is probably rope.

    I thought they showed more drive and emotion last night, and that has to be the first step. Seeing Murray behind the bench yelling at he refs gave me goose bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was more emotion, at least in the first period, but I don't know how much good it will do. So...I need to be a hockey coach or a goaltender before I can comment on hockey? Does it therefore follow that I would have to become a director before I can enjoy a movie, or a recording artist before I can critique music? Shall I perhaps write a book, because it will then be the only way I can appreciate one? Let's see...that means I will no longer be able to comment on sports...music...movies...books...politics...damn. There goes my blog. At least I still have kids in my house. From here on in, this will have to be a how-to guide on step parenting and driving KIAs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to be any of those things to make comments on any of those things. Blog all ya want.
    I'm just saying maybe you could try being a little more of a supportive and loyal Sens fan; especially when they're down and in most need of true and loyal fans instead of being so harsh and critical. I thought you liked the Sens?
    Mrs. Mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always felt that true fans did not offer blind, blanket support for their team no matter what that team did or how they were doing. If that were the case, every hockey announcer, every radio announcer, every fan with a blog or anyone who comments on the team in any capacity would be out of a job. You can only read "boy, I sure love those Sens. Go Team Go!" so many times. I would rather be a fan that roots for the team and questions their decisions than a fan who offers blanket support. I mean, I'm a fan of the Who. A huge fan. But I would be the first to suggest that their Join Together live album was absolute garbage.

    ReplyDelete