Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Police! And...more importantly, Elvis Costello.

It has been officially announced. The Police are coming to Ottawa. Which is great. Although I must admit that as far as I am concerned, I am not terribly interested in seeing that show. I have tried to like the Police. I even know that I should like the Police, I know they wrote great songs and played great music and that they were a fantastic band. But for some reason, I just can't connect with their music. It does nothing for me, and all I can muster when I think of the Police is a casual respect, mingling with a sort of shoulder-shrugging disregard. But I am excited today, and the Police are not the reason. No, it is the opening act that excites me. The May 5th concert is the first show on the last leg of the gigantic Police tour that has been selling out all over North America. And on this leg of the tour, accompanying Sting and the boys, will be Elvis Costello and the Imposters. Elvis Costello in Ottawa! Now, that's exciting.

I have tried to get my girlfriend into Elvis Costello. Maybe I should try the Costello-Burt Bacharach album Randall was going on about this morning. It really is a fantastic album, and Randall is right - it is a great Valentine's Day CD in that it is romantic and the women will like it, but it is good, so it won't make us guys angry to listen to it. So far I have managed to cultivate an appreciation in mt girlfriend only for the song "Alsion", which is decidedly less than romantic. In fact, much of Costello's music is as anti-romantic as anything ever written, and perhaps that's why I am so pleased I will get a chance to see him. Costello is one of the all-time great songwriters, and must be seen when the chance presents itself. And with the Imposters, that's just a huge bonus. Go to this show. And if you are not familiar with Costello, download Alison, Oliver's Army, Watching The Detectives and...oh whatever. Download his whole catalog. Purchase all his CDs. There is barely a weak track over his entire career.

No comments:

Post a Comment