Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Oscars!

Last year's Oscars encouraged me quite a bit that good movies are again making progress in the world. The fact that Crash, Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, and Munich were nominated for best picture helped wash a bit of the "Titanic" years out of my mouth. However, the fact that the years actual best movie, A History of Violence, was not even nominated, convinced me that there was a way to go.

This year, I see the nominees list, and I realize I have barely seen any of the movies up there. As CHEZ 106's resident movie critic, perhaps this means I have been derelict in my duties. Although I do have Little Miss Sunshine and Half Nelson on order from zip.ca, they have yet to arrive. In fact, the only films I've seen are in obscure and obnoxious categories, for the most part.

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest...best...sound editing? Who cares? I have also seen Cars (Best Animated Feature), which I didn't much care for, An Inconvenient Truth (best documentary), which should really win Best Picture, and Water (best foreign language film), which is excellent. Canadian filmmaker Deepa Mehta has made an Indian-language film, sho in India, with Indian actors. We claim this as a Canadian film because...She is a Canadian! But the film is terrific. It is the first "Canadian" movie ever nominated in the Best Foreign Film category that was not in French. It deserves to win.

All in all, I suppose that between now and the actual Oscars, I will have to watch many more movies so I can make an informed declaration of who deserves to win and who sucks. Coming soon to cynical cinema!

No comments:

Post a Comment