Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I'm a genius. Write that down.

I decided last year that I would become a real snowboarder. That way, I could embrace winter, rather than dreading it, and I would have something to look forward to when the cold weather arrived. But in the small amount of time I spent on the slopes at Mont Cascades, I improved only slightly.

I found that the biggest source of pain was getting back up off the mountain once I'd fallen. So I discovered that I hurt somewhat less when I went really fast. It hurt more when I fell, but I would go farther between falls, so I had to get up less. It was win-win. By the end of the winter, I was able to make it all the way down the mountain without falling.

So now I figure I'm ready for the next level. What was really holding me back was a lack of proper equipment. It's so tough to get used to something when you're using a different rental every week.

So I need new snowboard equipment, but it's expensive. And I make $9 an hour or something. So I've discovered a great way to get new equipment for free. Pakenham is holding a half-pipe snowboard competition where the grand prize is snowboard equipment. So all I have to do is win the competition and I will get the equpiment I need to become good enough to win competitions like this one! Perfect.

I figure if I have no fear, and go all out, and I use my natural athletic ability to it's fullest, then I will manage to overcome my lack of experience and win. It won't be easy, some of these guys are very good, but if I have the ability to go all the way down a mountain without falling, I can certainly do the half-pipe.

So on the 17th, I'm heading out to Pakenham to acquire snowboarding gear through competitive snowboarding dominance. And the proceeds from the event go to the Children's Wish Foundation, so even if I don't win, some kids do.

4 comments:

  1. You should take up something less painful -- like snowshoeing. Yes, it does sound rather boring, but really, it's not that bad. Especially if you go stomping through the forest trails, or even better, take it up in combination with geocaching.

    If not... well, good luck with the snowboarding! You could always strap a few crazy carpets around your body, so when you fall, you'll maintain speed on the way down the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not a bad idea. Sure beats my own cover-my-body-in-Crisco idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need some help with this one? Could say that I snowboard, but I'm a pretty good skier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helping Eric with snowboarding, or helping Eric to strap crazy carpets around his body?

    ReplyDelete